Intro To Steel
INTRO TO STEEL MATCH – 4TH SUNDAY OF EVERY MONTH
*** 8:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. Signup (Winter) ***
or 7:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. Signup (Summer)
Check RSSC calendar to verify start times
MANDATORY Safety Briefing for NEW/NOVICE Shooters
*** 8:30 a.m. during WINTER Hours ***
7:30 a.m. during summer Hours
Match Fee – $12.00 Guests, $10.00 RSSC Members
MATCH RESULTS: Click here => http://www.rsscaz.com/results/intro2steel.pdf
Retrieve PREVIOUS results by ADDING the DATE (YYMMDD format)
after the match name in the above link.
For example, to retrieve the April 22, 2012 results, go to:
-FIRST TIME I2S Shooters MUST attend the SAFETY BRIEFING.
7:30 a.m during Summer; 8:30 a.m. during Winter;
-DOWNLOAD, PRINT & REVIEW the SAFETY OUTLINE & WAIVER.
-CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD: SAFETY OUTLINE and WAIVER
-BRING THE OUTLINE & WAIVER WITH YOU TO THE MATCH!
INTRODUCTION & PURPOSE:
Welcome to the Rio Salado Sportsmans Club (RSSC) Practical Division. We’re excited that you are interested in competing in our Practical Shooting Matches! RSSC’s Practical Division wants to provide a friendly, encouraging and informative environment for those who want to compete, and more importantly, we want them to get started on the right foot. If you are a competent shooter with no practical pistol experience, this match is designed just for you. You don’t have to be good, just safe!
The Intro To Steel Match (I2S) is for:
- Individuals who have a good working KNOWLEDGE of their pistol;
- Individuals who already KNOW how to SAFELY LOAD, SHOOT, and UNLOAD their pistol;
- Individuals who want to begin attending Practical Shooting Matches;
- IF YOU HAVE NEVER SHOT A PISTOL or are inexperienced with your gun, unfortunately, this is not the place to begin. The good news is, we have many instructors at RSSC who are available to assist you with your progress. Once you are proficient and safe with your pistol, we hope to see you back at the I2S Match! Please reference the RSSC website for a list of Instructors to further your firearms knowledge:
INTRO TO STEEL MATCH INFORMATION :
MATCH DIRECTORS: Rob and Kippi Leatham
MATCH ASSISTANTS: (We couldn’t do this without you – Thank you for all of your help!):
John Catalano, Chris Collins, Joe Hannis, Debbie Keehart, Joe Rini, Steve & Cindy Redies, Chad Reilly – Just to name a few!
- The match is designed for shooters who are new to competition – NOT those who have NEVER shot a pistol.
- Experienced, classified shooters may also attend – and are allowed to draw from the holster. (Woo-Hoo!)
- FIRST TIME I2S Shooters MUST attend the SAFETY BRIEFING – No Exceptions!
7:30 a.m. during summer hours;
8:30 a.m. during winter hours;
FIRST TIME I2S Shooters:
Please DOWNLOAD, PRINT and REVIEW this Safety Outline and WAIVER .
BRING THE OUTLINE & WAIVER WITH YOU TO THE MATCH!
- Practical Division needed a MATCH to introduce new shooters to basic competition, in a low-key environment, with simple, straight forward stages.
- The Intro To Steel Match may also serve as a stepping stone between Rio’s monthly .22 Pistol Match and the weekly Tuesday Night Steel / Action Shooting 101 Matches.
- 4th Sunday of every month (check the calendar for cancellations)
- Winter sign up is from 8:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
- Summer sign up is from 7:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. – please check the calendar to verify (winter and summer hours differ) www.riosaladosportsmans.com
- FIRST TIME I2S shooters MUST attend the SAFETY BRIEFING – No exceptions!
7:30 a.m. during the Summer Hours;
8:30 a.m. during the Winter Hours;
FIRST TIME I2S Shooters:
Please DOWNLOAD, PRINT and REVIEW this SAFETY OUTLINE and WAIVER .
BRING THE OUTLINE & WAIVER WITH YOU TO THE MATCH!
- Usery Mountain Shooting Range – AKA Rio Salado Sportsman’s Club
- PRACTICAL PISTOL Bays 1 & 2
- Bring your UNLOADED handgun in a carrying case that zips/latches closed or a range bag
- RSSC is a COLD RANGE. Bag / unbag your firearm ONLY in a SAFETY AREA or on the shooting line under the direct command of a Range Official – NOT in your vehicle or anywhere else!
- Remember – Handling of magazines or ammo in the safety areas is NOT allowed.
- 9 mm centerfire handguns (or larger calibers) only
IMPORTANT note: The Intro To Steel Match is NOT a MATCH for small, concealment pistols. You MUST have a pistol that is suitable for competition, i.e. a USPSA Open, Limited, 1911 Single Stack or Production gun. Revolvers must be six or 8 shot. In general, handguns with a barrel length LESS than 4 inches are not legal for competition. Please reference the USPSA Production Gun list for the few exceptions: http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-production-gunlist.php
- 3 to 4 magazines recommended
- Approximately 75 – 100 rounds of ammunition
- BEGINNING IN MARCH OF 2013 – YOU MUST HAVE A HOLSTER TO CARRY YOUR GUN AT THE MATCH!
- Holster must be snuggly secured at waist or hip with a belt, through a minimum of 3 belt loops.
- Holster must be worn on competitor’s STRONG side.
- Holster Position – A holster with the muzzle of the handgun pointing further than 3 feet from the competitor’s feet while standing relaxed is NOT allowed.
- A holster which does not completely prevent access to, or activation of, the trigger of the handgun while holstered is NOT allowed.
- NOT ALLOWED – Shoulder, Cross-draw, Pocket, Tie downs, Inside-the-waistband or Fanny pack holsters.
- NOT ALLOWED – Holsters that utilize a trigger finger release mechanism, i.e. Blackhawk Serpa.
- A USPSA, IDPA or NRA Action Pistol approved HOLSTER is REQUIRED FOR “DRAW STATUS”.
- 4 ALL-STEEL Stages
- Multiple runs on each stage
- NOVICE, UNCLASSIFIED and NO-DRAW shooters KEEP their BEST run
- CLASSIFIED shooters THROW OUT their WORST run, keeping remaining multiple runs
- START POSITION FOR NO-DRAW Shooters – Gun will start ON TABLE or at LOW READY (WITH TRIGGER FINGER VISIBLY OUTSIDE OF THE TRIGGER GUARD).
- START POSITION FOR CLASSIFIED Shooters – Gun will start in the HOLSTER.
- No RELOADING required during the Course of Fire (COF).
- Great way to REINFORCE the BASICS of handgun SAFETY and INTRODUCE yourself to match etiquette and practical shooting.
- I2S is also a logical step in PREPARATION for the TUESDAY NIGHT STEEL and ACTION SHOOTING 101 Matches!
- NOVICE Competitors – New competitors, including those who have shot FEWER than 3 matches with us.
NOVICE competitors DO NOT HAVE “DRAW STATUS” at I2S unless they have successfully completed the Practical Shooting Safety Course (PSSC).
- UNCLASSIFIED Competitors – Participants who have safely completed THREE or more Intro To Steel Events or are classified D class at TNS.
UNCLASSIFIED competitors DO NOT HAVE “DRAW STATUS” at I2S unless they have successfully completed the PSSC .
- CLASSIFIED Competitors – MUST be classified by a recognized COMPETITIVE ACTION / PRACTICAL PISTOL organization:
– USPSA,IDPA, ICORE, SASS – OR –
– Tuesday Night Steel (TNS – C class or higher).I2S recognizes a competitor’s HIGHEST classification.
All CLASSIFIED competitors have “DRAW STATUS” and will draw from the HOLSTER at I2S.
HOW DOES A COMPETITOR MOVE UP IN CLASS AT I2S?:
- Novice Class – New competitors are classified as Novice UNTIL they have safely completed 3 Intro To Steel Matches.
- Unclassified Class – Novice competitors advance to Unclassified AFTER safely completing 3 Intro To Steel Matches.
- D Class – Novice and Unclassified competitors voluntarily advance to D Class if / when they are ready to DRAW and have successfully completed the Practical Shooting Safety Course (PSSC).
- D,C, B, A, M, GM Classes – To advance to a higher level class, you must win 3 matches in your current class. Competitor is responsible for tracking his/her progress.